Friday 28 January 2011

As promised...

Todays shot is not a new one.  Going through my shots from a couple of years ago I found a few that I really liked.

This one is a night shot, a 10 second exposure @ ISO 100.  It's almost perfect as far as I am concerned (stupid street furniture!).  It is taken on a country road not far from where I live, on a dark, windy and very cold evening.  My fingers froze!

There are also a couple of stories: one of the bridge and one of the night.

The Bridges (this is one of three) are quite new, and were supposed to make an impact for the local council.  They were opened by the Queen of The Netherlands with much ado.

Unfortunately they were in urgent need of maintenance quite soon afterwards!  Not the impact they wanted!  You see they contracted an architect from a sunny country.  Who specified materials which would have been brilliant in a warm climate.  Less so in North Europe where we have lots of rain.  They started to rust immediately (before they were finished they had streaks of brown) and the lights had to be changed for safety reasons - as I understand it they are not suitable for outdoor, wet use :)  There was a court battle about who should pay:  The council as they are the owners and signed off on the design; the builders as they should have said the materials were not suitable or the architect who designed completely unsuitable bridges for the area where they are constructed.  I don't know what happened with that, but I do know the renovation has since finished and they now look as good in daylight as at night.

The other story is of the guy I took photo's with.  When someone came speeding down the road he took a photo of the back of the car with a big grin on his face.  Yes, he used his flash to do it :)

Anyway, here it is:
Night Bridge

Stace

4 comments:

  1. WoW, great photo Stace! I love all of the leading lines. Was this with your Sigma 180mm or 70-200mm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I was thinking this morning that I have maybe already posted a different shot from this series. Oops...

    I loved how they all turned out though.

    This is using my 24-70 f2.8 EX DG. Unfortunately this leans is not HSM and could wake the dead... Sigma have released an updated version with the HSM in it, but I've not had a chance to use it.

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shot! The dark of the trees against the bridge.

    How is it some folk don't get the idea that other climates rain a lot? See also a lack of fog lights on scooters! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynn.

    I don't know how anyone missed the issues before the bridges were built. They are very impressive structures though. Not overly big, but a stunning sculture none the less.

    Stace

    ReplyDelete