Monday 5 December 2011

One Week

Well, it's getting close now.  In just 7 short days everyone in the company should know about me, and I will be stressing about whether I have picked the right outfit for the first day working as Stacy (which I hope isn't really as shallow as it sounds).

The plan is that I will be telling my team first thing in the morning, then there will be a department meeting where those who are not in my team, but are still in my department, will find out.  From that point on the other Business Unit managers will be able to tell their  people - I have asked that they do not say anything before the people I work closely with find out and before I come to the office as Stacy for the first time.  There will also be a mail sent to everybody, from their own manager with a bit of text from me in it.

Then I have to see what reactions I get during the day.  It's not my choice of timetable - I would have preferred something in the afternoon, but it's a good enough compromise with the restrictions of keeping the company running, you can't shut down whole call center departments on the fly and I do appreciate that.

My boss has translated my personal message, and enhanced it in the (and I mean that in the best possible way - I'm getting a bit scatter brained at the moment) and this afternoon he sent it to me for confirmation that I agreed with it before sending it to the management team tomorrow.

Phew...

Then I have the list of people outside of those I work with that I want to tell on the day. I would so much prefer that people find out from me and not from others - I can't de everyone face to face in one evening.  One of those who I would really have preferred to tell in person has made that all the more difficult by daring to go on vacation back to see his family in India for a month, leaving one day or so so before I am due to tell everyone.  I guess he gets told on Skype, damn.

Then I have to shock all the others by changing my LinkedIn and Google+ accounts and waiting for the WTFs to come in :)

Stace

13 comments:

  1. It's not shallow at all - and Good Luck with it all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To second Carolyn Ann, it's not shallow: it's making a good impression. Perhaps not too different from an interview, because - and let's be honest - rightly or wrongly, people judge on appearance.

    Hopefully that doesn't give you a touch of the fear. ;-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame that the reactions of others can't be planned!! That said I am sure that it will be fine but can well imagine your emotions on that day.

    Good luck

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. IIRC the Indian guy was the one you were most concerned about, what bad timing!

    Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll sail through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck.
    Its not being shallow to worry about what outfit your going to wear on your first day. I'm doing the same. Everyone I work with finds out on the 15th and I have 3 weeks to worry about my choice of outfit before I walk back into work as Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be all the luck by your side on that special day and all days that will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stacy,

    I'll be praying for all to go well next Monday. Rest easy in the Lord and know that He will take care of you.

    I'm sure you will look absolutely perfect.

    Hugs and Prayers,

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you, girl! Go for it! You will be just fine.

    Calie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all.

    I know it's not shallow, it just seems that way to me when wording it for a post :)

    Down to just a few days now, and I am starting to stress a bit... Everything is planned, all I have to do it now is... do it...

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking of you today - hoping that the thought of tomorrow and next week are not stressing you.

    I will be thinking of you tomorrow as well. I hope that it all goes well. People from the 'Ether' can't seemingly do too much but one for sure is hoping for just a great but business as usual day.

    Best of luck Stace

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey you.

    hope it went well. If they value you as a work colleague, and they aren't total morons, then it should be ok. remember to go easy on them. you've had plenty of time to get used to the idea, for some of them it might be a curveball. and if they are smart, they'll already know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becca / Flow: What can I say? the past three days have been some of the most difficult, stressful, strange, wonderful and relaxing of my life! And many more emotions beyond!

    So far I have not had one negative reaction, and the effort that everyone is putting into getting the name and pronouns right is tremendous.

    Thanks for the thoughts!

    When I get over the exhaustion of it all I'll do a post!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete