Thursday, 17 October 2013

Informaton evening

It's been quite around here, and there is a good reason for it. I'm still getting over the stress caused by the new machines in the office and when I get in I just don't have the will power or energy to write a post.

And so this may be a little short :)

It's annoying me because as well as this blog I also have my photo blog which has not been updated in far too long, my Scrum blog (oh dear, one post... I have another 4 or 5 in my head, but haven't got around to finishing them) and I really want to make a small library MVC application using Visual Studio 2013 (because I want and need to catch up with the latest technology!)

And they have not been done.

The only thing that I have done is kept my running routine going, even in the lousy weather that we have had this week in Holland I have done another 21.75km - and at an better pace than I have managed before. Sunday was a little stupid though. The wind was that bad that branches a few meters long and the size of my wrist were being thrown off of trees. Not only did I have to hurdle them when they were lying on the pavement (and with my accident history...), I was also quite worried about how much it would hurt (or seriously injure me) should one fly off of a tree and hit me.

On the bright side, when the wind was behind me I was running quicker than I ever have, and not using much energy.  In fact I was using more to stop myself from running than making myself run :)

So...  The information evening. It was at the hospital and aimed at those on the waiting list for surgery. It was difficult to get there  in time, the start time was very early due to the need to be finished in time for the last trains and busses) and I had to eat in the way there (quite nice chicken and mushroom hot pot and chips) and meet Mrs Stace at the door.

We took our seats at the end of a row and waited for it to start.

And it was very, very good. The introduction to how the Gender Team at the VU works and some of the things that you have to do (and not do) to get surgery.  Don't smoke (they will do a test on the day, and if you have smoked they will send you home) and do keep fit (BMI 19-30 is OK, 30 to 35 is after a consult and 35+ is immediately turned down).

Then we had information over the operation itself.  What they will do, what they will not do, and the different operations depending on your condition.

And what can go wrong, and what they will do if that happens (if you come in with stitches that have come undone this includes saying: "Oh great, it's an easy fix" as this is the most common and easiest to fix).

Then we had a physiotherapist with information about the pelvic floor, and what you can do to help yourself before and after the operation by exercising it and learning how to relax it. I'm going to ask for some physio sessions from the gender team.

After a break, where I got chatting to another couple of people who were there (all three of us were checking Facebook and I commented how that was a sign of the times!), we had a talk about sexuality after the operation (what to expect and what not to expect - and how to keep your expectations real).  I don't think it really connected to the evening, but the speaker was very good and it was very interesting.

And finally a bit about hygiene and sexual health.

With some Very. Scary. Pictures.

I must admit that it was not what I was hoping for, I was looking more for how to look after yourself whilst recovering from the operation and learning to dilate, but again interesting and well given.

And was as applicable for anyone, not just transsexuals!

As I said it was a very good evening, and did contain some of the information that I thought I had been missing until now. A night well spent.

Yesterday I was back in the hospital again. In a couple of months I go back or my hormone check-up, which will be 6 months after having my androcur halved.  And I am not happy. I fell less in balance, but it's the physical side effects that are bothering me most.  From body hair growing quicker again to others that I won't go into. They have taken a lot of blood for tests and I have a phone consult in a couple of weeks.

I am hoping that the tests show the simplest problem of too much testosterone, which is easily treated. If the blood levels come back normal then I don't know what else there is for them to do...

Fingers crossed!


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Hmmm I have had a spike in T of late for an unknown reason. Not pleasant, not at all. Feel for you.

    That information evening sounds really helpful. What a good idea.

    1. Thanks! It has been since the medication was altered earlier in the year, so I just hope that it's an open and shut case (and they double the androcur again!). If not then I don't know what happens!

      The evening was really useful, I didn't always see the connection to the point in the process that they were talking about, but it the talks were all very well given.


  3. Hi Stace!

    Apologies for the deleted post. I had several typos in it, and as an anal-retentive editor type (is there any other kind?) I *had* to delete it! lol I *did* add a revised version... but apparently I failed to click Publish. So sorry.

    What I was going to say was that the Information Evening sounded quite interesting. I agree you with you about the areas they might consider covering as well.

    I can sympathize with both you and Becca about the T count spike. Mine dropped rapidly when I started HRT, then skyrocketed when I started this crazy job. It has since dropped somewhat, but is still much higher than I hoped it would be.

    I suspect, as does my therapist, that the constant stress I have been under for, well, the last two years, really, has to be a factor in that. When your body is in "fight-or-flight" mode, the adrenaline flows... and that also means high levels of the dreaded T. We are hoping it will simply drop, as my doctor has assured me repeatedly it will. Fingers crossed... well, for all of us, really! :D

    Be well, Stace, and hope you and Mrs. Stace have a wonderful Friday!


    1. I don't know, technical writers and their insistence on not having any mistakes in their text :)

      I know that I was stressed to hell over the last few months, operation, adoption and now I'm in stress mode in the job.

      I guess we'll see what happens during my appointment on 5th November...

      I hope to have a wonderful Friday once I am outside of the office :) Until then I think it's going to be firefighting mode!


  4. Sadly, I know just how you feel, Stace. And firefighting gear is decidedly NOT my best look! lol Hopefully you survived your Friday as well. :c)

    My next appointment is just before Christmas (Dec 20th); I know what *I* want as a present! :D

    Have a lovely weekend, Stace!


    1. Well... On Thursday everything was looking up, what was broken was working - and we knew why - and Friday was going to be testing and sign off.

      And then all of the external specifications changed late in the afternoon and the stress levels came right back! Monday is going to be interesting...

      As for the appointment, I think my next one is the first week of December (it should have been the last week of November, but they needed to move it for some reason). But I decided that I wanted everything checking before hand, and I really wanted to have the blood figures before the appointment, rather than having it done afterwards and just having the "We'll call you if there is a problem" level of information...


  5. Hi Stace,

    Good to see you write. Sorry about the stress at work, but keep on running. It's my method of relieving stress.

    I do envy where you are in your transition and I do wish I was at that meeting. Very interesting reading and I appreciate the post.

    Stay well.

    Calie xxx

    1. Hi Calie!

      Unfortunately the last two weeks the running has stopped! A serious cold that won't let go means that going up a flight of stairs is too much. Tomorrow I may try a very gentle 7km run, but it will be the first time in two weeks :(

      It was a very interesting evening, with lots of information. I still need to make an appointment with the physiotherapist though :)